Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My Shameless Plug for Early Literacy


As you all know, I'm an elementary school teacher. Not only do I love to teach my students to read, from time to time, I try to impart my wisdom *insert eye roll here* with others who are teaching their kids early literacy skills. One of my favorite children's authors is Lois Ehlert. Her books are wonderful for little ones because they are so colorful, and the story lines are short and concise (a plus for little ones with short attention spans!). I love her book Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. There is a really catchy song that goes with it, and as I was getting my lesson plans ready for the first week of school, I found it on YouTube. I hope that you and your little ones will enjoy learning the alphabet in a new and fun way with the song! If you've already read the book and know the song, go and check out some of Lois Ehlert's other books. Growing Vegetable Soup is another one that I love. We read that every year and actually make vegetable soup in the classroom (in a crock pot), and we plant a vegetable of their choice. These are easy things that you can do at home with your little ones, if you have time!! I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment