Sunday, August 8, 2010

Laundry Soap Recipe

I got this recipe from my cousin who has been making her own laundry soap for a while now. I added a few things to it, and it works as well as any other that I have ever used.

Laundry Soap

Ingredients
1 bar of Zote soap (buy at Big Lots)
1 cup of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (buy at Kroger)
1 cup of 20 Mule Team Borax (Wal Mart or Kroger)
1 box of Baking Soda
Water
5 gallon bucket

Directions
1. Grate the Zote soap into a large pot. Add 6 cups of water.
2. Heat until the soap is dissolved. Don't boil.
3. Add the Washing Soda and Borax. Stir until dissolved.
4. Pour the whole box of baking soda into the 5 gallon bucket.
5. Carefully pour the soap, washing soda, and borax mixture into the bucket.
6. Fill the bucket with water, stirring the mixture as you fill.
7. Put the lid on the bucket and let it set over night.

When you open the bucket the next day, the soap will be like a gel. You need to mix it with the water in the bucket. It will have the consistency of egg drop soup. Sounds nasty, I know!

I put my soap into large Purex bottles that I had left over from a long time ago. The white plastic pour spout pops out and you can fill it easily after that. It's easier than keeping a 5 gallon bucket beside my washer all of the time. When I'm out of soap, I refill them from the bucket that I store in the closet.

If you want a lovely scent for your soap, you can add 10-20 drops of whichever essential oil that you prefer.

I use Suavitel fabric softener with mine, and it makes clothes smell great!

This soap also works great as carpet and upholstery cleaner, as well as a stain pre-treat. If I have a really bad stain or need a little extra cleaning power, I use a scoop of OxyClean with the wash.

This soap lasts FOREVER, and it is extremely economical. I think it costs less than a cent a load. Depending on how much I wash, it lasts me around 3-4 months.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment